Krusteaz generously sent us a box with a variety of Cookie Mixes- Triple Chocolate Chunk to Meyer Lemon Cookie Mix as well as aprons for me and my little baker, a pot holder, a selfie stick for those oh so important baking moments, recipe cards to spruce up their mixes, and some handy Curious Chef tools like measuring spoons. My little helper had a ball pouring over our goodies but even more so when it was time to step into the kitchen for some fun and “food school”.
So this box of tasty treats got me to thinking about Back to School, or in our case since we homeschool- Not Back to School. One of the greatest benefits of homeschooling is that we have plenty of time for learning and plenty of time for the fun stuff like cooking and of course enjoying the fruit (or cookies) of our labor. Cooking is one of those activities that incorporates both things- learning and fun into our back to school
homeschool day. What are the benefits of cooking and baking with your kids?
- Bonding– Spending time in the kitchen creating delicious treats or hot meals for the family creates bonding and closeness as you work together to make a recipe.
- Life Skills– As hard as it is to believe one day your little one will be grown up and on their own, in college or with their own family. Start teaching them simple life skills like cooking, sewing, and cleaning early on to give them success later.
- Education- Cooking together is a great way to “sneak” in some learning- from measuring and reading directions to practicing following directions and patience your child is getting and education in the kitchen. Science, sequencing, math,
- Appreciation– When your child sees the work that goes into cooking and cleaning they will eventually develop an appreciation for all you do (this may take awhile).
- No Technology– While we did shoot a quick selfie with my camera the rest of the time was spent mixing, baking, and eating. No T.V., no tablets, or computers- just me and her having a good time without distractions. Most kids could use a break from technology.
6. Self Confidence– When a child is able to accomplish something with or without help they begin to develop confidence and become more sure of themselves-this will carry over into all aspects of their life.
7. Fun– It is just plain fun for them and for you to be in the kitchen baking cookies, or putting together simple sandwiches. Laughing, talking, and creating. Box mixes are a fantastic first recipe for kids in the kitchen.
Get in the kitchen with your little ones today and whip up some love!
My main man came along just when the cookies were ready, he always has time to help with the taste testing!
Hey guys!! Krusteaz is going to send a prize pack to one of my readers! Your prize pack contains one of each cookie mix- Triple Chocolate Chunk, Double Peanut Butter, Meyer Lemon, Butter Vanilla Sugar Cookie, Brown Sugar Oatmeal, and Oatmeal Scotchie as well as a Krusteaz lunchbox, oven mitt, and and an apron. All you have to do is comment with your favorite after school snack below and on Friday ,2015 I will pick a winner via Random.org. I would love it if you would head over to Krusteaz and give their Facebook a like as well as my Facebook if you haven’t already.